Benefits of Water
Water can be found all around us – from the beverages we drink to the ice we use to reduce swellings and calm the pain. Not only is it all around us, but we basically are water. Hydration expert Doug Casa (PhD), states that “water makes up about 2/3 of who we are, and influences 100% of the processes in our body”.
Drinking water is essential to our health as it has many benefits and it is a very important element that our body needs. Without it we cannot survive. Joan Koelemay (RD), dietician for the Beverage Institute suggests that we should think about water as a nutrient that our body needs. According to Steven Guest (MD), a nephrologist from Kaiser Permanente, “fluid losses occur continuously, from skin evaporation, breathing, urine, and stool and these losses must be replaced daily for good health."
There are numerous reasons why we should be drinking plenty of water and fluids every day. We have compiled a list of benefits to show you why it is so important to drink water and how it helps you and your body.
Drinking water helps maintain the balance of body fluids
- It is very important to drink plenty of water as this is essential to ensure that our bodies maintain their balance of fluids.
- You have to remember that approxiamtely 60% of our body is water and these bodily fluids are necessary for maintaining out body temperature, creating saliva, transporting nutrients, digestion, absorption and circulation.
- If you start feeling thirsty that means that your brain in sending signals to let you know that you are running low on body fluids and that you should probably drink water to replace the lost fluids.
- Proper hydration allows the body to function and maintain homeostasis. (Homeostasis is the control of internal conditions, be it temperature, specific blood conditions or other variables within living organisms.)
Water can help control calories
- Don’t think that just because you are drinking water you will start burning calories and losing weight all of a sudden. Water can help control calories only if instead of drinking fizzy beverages or any other drinks that contain calories you will drink water.
- Besides drinking water you could also try and eat foods that are rich in water like watermelon; they usually look bigger, have less calories and require more chewing due to their volume. Furthermore these foods are absorbed more slowly by the body.
Water helps build muscle tone
- According to active.com, “water acts as a lubricant around your muscle and joints which helps prevent against cramping, allowing you to work out harder and longer”.
- According to Wolf and Rudikoff (2010), “certain toxins in the body can cause the skin to inflame, which results in clogged pores and acne”.
- Because of the fact that water cleans out the toxins and reduces the risk of pimples, having a clear skin has never been easier – you just have to drink plenty of water an keep hydrated at all time.
Water helps your kidneys
- For the kidneys to perform their tasks at full capacity and as efficient as possible, a person needs to drink enough water.
- You will have an increased risk of kidney stones if you do not drink enough water on a regular basis.
There are several other benefits of drinking water that helps you keep healthy and be productive every day:
- Water helps maintain normal bowel function
- It might protect against some types of cancer
- It can improve your mood
- Drinking water might help prevent headaches
- Water protects our joints and cartilage
- It takes the edge off of hangovers
- It helps prevent pain
- It promotes clearer thinking